Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A song can lift, a song can remind

Sometimes when writing a song it just flows, as the last one did. Other times they come in and out of life leaving a bit of mental havoc in their path. A reminder that there are things left to be thought about, or dealt with. Writing (in any sense,) is truly a great form of self therapy. Last night was therapy time. Occasionally some memories creep in that need putting into their place. 

---
Press-kit delivery day today. We have some amazing people about to (and others that have now,) their hands on these kits which is always a relief when you're getting close to making some life changing moves. After a great chat with a big-shot entertainment lawyer from LA last week, it's good to know that we're on the right path and heading the necessary precautions. One thing I've learned quickly and have been told by many, is that in this business you need a lawyer in speed-dial. Good advice.

The responses to date on demo and kits has been amazing... so now that those are going out the door it's time to finish up the album so we can leap to the next challenge. Almost there now with only a couple songs left to complete. Thankfully I have more songs written and in process to complete the album Back to Freedom so that means album #2 (or some in between singles,) has a couple tracks ready ahead of time. As a solo artist, the amount of time to complete each track, if even by luck the writing breezes through, is probably a lot more than most people realize. Once the musical arrangements are written and the layering of instruments begins, a lot of re-writes take place and as my own worst critic (which personally I think a good thing,) it becomes a challenge to let go. Besides, even when pressed to disc I always hear things later on that I want to change, improve upon and so forth. A song to me is never really finished. I also tend to write the music first and lyrics afterward while sitting with microphone and the record light on, despite the amount of lyrics I write ahead of time in a special book of mine. Funny they really never end up in songs as I don't try to predict what a song is about until I feel the true mood of it, and I can only feel that once I have at least a verse or two done, or a chorus that I can't get out of my head repeating on endless loop until I at last put it to keys and record it.I tend to use what I've committed to paper as reference and idea only. My method I suppose. I've always wondered how other artists do it. I should remember to ask from time to time.

I'm getting long winded...

Anyway, If I can keep writing at this pace and maintain the same level of self-criticism I'm a step ahead.
 ---

Hours later...
Great meeting team meeting tonight. Tomorrow is a big day with the delivered kits of this evening into hands that can make careers. Tonight I keep a PMA. A necessity in this industry given the hills to climb. I never would have thought the number of hours in a day could seem so little and in short supply as they do now. Much to do, but honestly I'm loving every minute of it. Tomorrow is back to the ivories. When following your passion it is really no longer a case of work to live, but fantastically becomes live to work.

Peace and sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment